[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA passes back control without reason (PR#1505)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA passes back control without reason (PR#1505)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:51:05 +0200

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 10:50:22AM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > I think attributes shouldn't be sent to the server at all.
>
> See the threads from 2001 why this isn't a good idea. Basically you
> can't know what are the proper attributes for a savegame if you don't
> save the attributes in the savegame.

I understand why attributes and saving them on the server are attractive.
But I think their cost is too high.

A savegame should contain the game state, independent of client
information.  A client has no business polluting the server with
information that only the client knows how to interpret.
If the client wants to maintain information about a particular game
across turns, it should invent its own way of doing that.
At least the server should have the option to prevent this abuse
of its bandwidth, memory and savegames.

I'm saying this because I find Freeciv 1.12.0 too slow already.
Freeciv was playable over modem lines.  I know there was a test
back then which established that attributes weren't really adding
much data traffic, but I suspect their use adds sequence dependencies
that weren't there before, which is just as bad for playability.

--
Reinier