[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA passes back control without reason (PR#1505)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA passes back control without reason (PR#1505)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:30:34 +0200

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 08:36:54PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:

> > This isn't a bug.
> >
> > > Yes attributes (which are used by the CMA to store things) currently
> > > get only submit at turn done. It is possible also to submit them at
> > > every change but this wasn't necessary yet.
> >
> > Comments? Sending attributes more often will cause more bandwidth
> > usage but will also prevent loss of data if the client
> > aborts/disconnects/crashs.
>
> I'm for it, rather. But how much bandwith? If I change 30 cities,
> does it send all attributes 30 times? :-(

A lot. You need about 153 bytes/city. So you currently need 4.6kb per
turn for 30 CMA controlled cities. Note that every movement of the
slider in the frontend sets the attributes and so will cause 4.6kb to
be transmitted.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Premature optimization is the root of all evil."