[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA passes back control without reason (PR#1505)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA passes back control without reason (PR#1505)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:43:04 +0200

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 01:51:05PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 10:50:22AM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> > > I think attributes shouldn't be sent to the server at all.
> >
> > See the threads from 2001 why this isn't a good idea. Basically you
> > can't know what are the proper attributes for a savegame if you don't
> > save the attributes in the savegame.
>
> I understand why attributes and saving them on the server are attractive.
> But I think their cost is too high.
>
> A savegame should contain the game state, independent of client
> information.  A client has no business polluting the server with
> information that only the client knows how to interpret.
> If the client wants to maintain information about a particular game
> across turns, it should invent its own way of doing that.
> At least the server should have the option to prevent this abuse
> of its bandwidth, memory and savegames.

Can you tell me a way to solve this? Client side AI needs to save data
about the game state and this data has to be synchronized with the
actual game state.

If you want a server without attributes just remove the attributes
capability from the server.

> I'm saying this because I find Freeciv 1.12.0 too slow already.
> Freeciv was playable over modem lines.  I know there was a test
> back then which established that attributes weren't really adding
> much data traffic, but I suspect their use adds sequence dependencies
> that weren't there before, which is just as bad for playability.

There are ways to reduce the traffic (both normal and attributes). It
is just a "feature" that isn't requested often.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "There are three ways to get something done. Do it yourself, hire someone