[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Sound #15

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Sound #15
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:22:53 +0100 (MET)

Looks good. Compiles good. Runs good. Sounds good :)

Some comments:

> packhand.c:    create_event(-1, -1, E_TURN_BELL, "ring ring");

How about "Start of turn %d"?

(It is a bit annoying that this messages pops up in the beginning, when it
is the only message and the message window doesn't need to pop up. But it
is nothing serious.)

> audio.c:  freelog(LOG_NORMAL, "audio_play_sound('%s', '%s')", tag,
> alt_tag);

LOG_DEBUG, please.

> stdsounds.spec:f_generic = "stdsounds/guncock.wav"

This sounds a bit ... odd ... early game :-) But this can be improved
later when we get more sounds / help from some sound people. We can send
out a call for help in the release announcement, for example...

>  - someone has to update the civ2 soundspec

I'll update this later. Don't wait for me. Can be added to cvs later.

>  - maybe we should consider another extension over ".spec". It is used
>  by RPM.

We have lots of .spec files already. And I don't really see the problem.

>  - we have to decide whether we include the stdsounds wavs in the
>  normal CVS tree or in another tree or provide them as tar.gz (we have
>  to decide the same (one tar with source and wavs OR one source tar
>  and one sound tar) for the distribution of the release. But this
>  doesn't have to happen now)

My vote is for cvs.

I've made a new stdsounds.spec and .tar.gz now. It uses more sounds, and
removes sounds not used:

        http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~permath/freeciv/stdsounds.tar.gz

Please test and comment.

Yours,
Per

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch."
 -- Jack Nicholson