[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Success at last with Sound #15

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Success at last with Sound #15
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 03:50:24 -0800 (PST)

--- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> > checking for GNU xgettext version >= 0.10.38... no
> > configure: warning: You may have problems with creating pox files.
> > Please update your gettext package.
> > checking for GNU msgfmt version >= 0.10.35... no
> > configure: error: You are unable to create *.gmo files.
> > This is development version which doesn't include them. Please
> > update your gettext package. We recommend you versions >= 0.10.38. Or use
> > --disable-nls instead.
> >
> > What is the output of msgfmt --version ?
> >
> > I still get this obscure mesage about msgfmt, and my version of gnu
> > gettext is 0.10.40, yet the configure script claims it is < 0.10.38. I'd
> > love to know how to check version number of msgfmt, rpm -q msgfmt does not

> > do it.
> >
> > I did not have gettext-devel installed. The error message needs to be
> > improved. I had no idea what package msgfmt was hiding in.
> >
> > It clearly stated that you don't have msgfmt >= 0.10.35 installed. I
> > don't see a problem in the msg.
> >

> > I do. Perhaps you know that msgfmt is in the gettext-devel package, but I
> have not memorised the listings of where every single file in a package is. I
> doubt anyone else has either. Just adding the line - check your gettext-devel
> version would have made things much easier for me. I would not have wasted
> your time and mine in these emails.
>
> We can't assume that msgfmt is contained in a packet
> gettext-devel. You know that there are also people outside which
> doesn't use packages?!

Fine. The alternative as stolen from Ben Webb is

I would add "this may be found in your distribution's gettext or
gettext-devel package" for extra clarity. This message makes no difference for
people without packages.

<snip>

> > Ah. Offtopic, but the combat sound of ancient units does not make any
> sense.

>>The sound of gunfire when pikemen battles catapault just doesn't feel
> right.
>
> I just needed a sound to test the fighting. Is one of the sounds in
> stdsounds better suited? Can you provide a better one? IMHO there has
> to be a sound for this.

Okay, there seem to be a few distinct sounds needed for land combat

Land Combat Attacking

Ancient legion/pikemen/etc
Horsemen/knights
Catapaults

The current combat sound is fine for muskets/riflemen/marines etc.

I found a lot of appropriate sounds at www.meanrabbit.com. The problem lies in
their license. It sounds rather draconian and I do not believe it to be GPL
compatible.

Meanrabbit Interactive / www.meanrabbit.com
Sounds From The Nuclear Wav Storage Facility Beta

License Agreement

You can use these sounds in any type of music production, for example: making
demos,records, remixes, commercials, jingles, post productions, commissioned
pieces, sound tracks for film, theatre, musicals, live performances, computer
games or multimedia.

The individual sounds can not be left exposed in isolation in any media as they
appear on the CDs/CD-ROMs or Internet Server. You can not trade, resell, lend,
rent, copy, duplicate, upload or download to any database, BBS, or Server any
of our sounds because you never own the sounds, we are only licensing their use
for a single user for personal use only. Any such action is piracy and illegal,
carry fines amounting to hundreds of thousand of dollars and can include
imprisonment. We constantly monitor the internet and released recordings for
any abuse of our license conditions. Our sounds are very inexpensive and are
made by hard working people like you that have the right to profit from their
own creativity and hard work? Please respect our work and purchase a license
for your own use. The single user license you purchase is non transferable ,
this means you can not sell any CD, CD-ROM, or sounds second hand . By the same
logic you can not purchase any product second hand and use it legally in any
music production. Multiple User licenses are available for corporations.
Licenses are available to use our sounds in isolation in computer games,
library music or multimedia production. Using Meanrabbit Sounds From The
Nuclear Wav Storage Facility CDROM Beta is an acceptance of all of the terms
and conditions of our license agreement.
If you do not accept any of the terms of this license agreement please return
your purchase .