[Freeciv-Dev] goto/autoattack rant...

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] goto/autoattack rant...
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:37:11 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> It could do autoattack etc.

I'm wondering, though. How far can you stretch these autoattac/automove
ideas before they effectively makes it impossible to move units into a
battlezone on your own? Hmm I got a Dragoon here, and two tiles away sits
a catapult, yay, let's take it... move one, move... oops, busted. Damn,
should have let the computer do it... or would it still have autoattacked?
Oops those dragoons are sure screwed. Now everyone will want to move in
the last few seconds of the turn, so that they won't be sitting there
without movement points to autoattack... Might sound pretty innocent with
low tech, low range units, but once you get units with lots of
movement...?

How about you have a massive, high-tech standing army in one place, but
one city in the middle of that army which is poorly defended. With high
movement units, and the current "if i goto i am invincible" thing, you can
just sneak through all those units and get that city. And if there isn't
i-am-invincible-goto, things get just as bad: Now nothing can move towards
this army before it gets zapped from their autoattacks (with stealth
bombers or what have you).

No, I suspect this everyone-moves-at-the-same-time scheme is going to get
hairy with agents (or cheatbots, for that sake)... was much easier with
strictly alternating turns...

Or I am was off here?

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli