[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goto avoids empty enemy city (PR#1239)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goto avoids empty enemy city (PR#1239)
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:12:40 +0100

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 05:53:20PM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> The situation we are now considering involves an empty city that the
> player knows of.  So there is no need to return control to the player --
> the situation has not changed since the player had given up his control.
> If the player wants the unit to conquer the city, let him issue the
> appropriate goto command.
>
> If a unit on goto bumps into something dangerous or alien (like an empty
> enemy city) that has not been seen before, it will stop, I believe (but I
> am not 100% sure).
>
> But in general, determining if a unit discovered something "exploitable"
> is a subtle issue and should be separated into an agent-type module.

There is a lot room for an goto agent, I think. E.g. it could change the
way if something's emerging which hasn't been there when the route
has been set up (new empty cities e.g.). It could do autoattack etc.

Until then, IMHO, goto should do what one expects it to do in
it's current implementation: take the shortest route. (I.e. crossing
empty cities)

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *