[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goto avoids empty enemy city (PR#1239)

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goto avoids empty enemy city (PR#1239)
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:59:41 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:

> CVS 23 JAN 2002 with CMA 3.2-pre3 Gtk+ Linux i386
>
> You will say that I'm nitpicking but:
>
> Goto avoids an empty enemy city (no ZOC) and takes a
> slightly longer way to its goal. If you enter a waypoint
> for that city it works.
>
> Reproducible. Savegame is here:
>
> http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/bugs/goto-avoids.sav.gz
>
> Login as chris (Viking) and send Mech.Inf. to the empty
> finn city Aposta. It doesn't go through the empty catalan
> city of Berga though that'd save 1/3 of a move point.

I think this behaviour is a good thing.  Conquering cities shouldn't be a
byproduct of movement.  The alternate route you described would result in
an empty Viking city -- possibly a way for the Catalons to gain Labor
Union -- even if they've only just researched horseback riding.

If you want to conquer the city, you can decide that easily enough.

--Daniel Speyer
"May the /src be with you, always"