[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple buildings of a certain type per city

To: Jörg Zuther <zuther.joerg@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple buildings of a certain type per city
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:39:23 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Jörg Zuther wrote:

> Oops, a good example how communication can go wrong. I thought the
> "(well, of course showing only the (non)existence)" would be clear
> enough. You can have at most one building of each type per city -
> sometimes even less (wonders, palace).

        Well, when writing the generalised improvements code, I did
consider putting in support for multiple buildings in a city, but decided
that it would be too complicated, and would possibly just end up confusing
the player.

> Again I'm of the opinion that one should think this carefully out:
> Should cities become even more complex structures?

Please no. ;)

> If you can have multiple buildings of one type, then each type should
> have a maximum number that can be build per city. Or maybe these numbers
> should be influenced somehow by the growth of the city?

        I think the major problem at present is that some players don't
build city improvements at all, and so having support for multiple
buildings wouldn't enhance gameplay much. But I could be wrong.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"I was a modest, good-humoured boy. It is Oxford that has made me