[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Hello; Elementarization of Unit Properties; New/Improv

To: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jörg Zuther <zuther.joerg@xxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Hello; Elementarization of Unit Properties; New/Improved Info Screens
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:46:09 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Petr Baudis wrote:

> Dear diary, on Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 12:02:15AM CET, I got a letter,
> where J?rg Zuther <zuther.joerg@xxxxxxxxx> told me, that...

> >    - there should be a column showing the continent/island the city is on.
> Question is if we want people to know it. It can then help them in exploring
> the right pieces of land and just give them knowledge they wouldn't otherwise
> know. See appropriate discussion near generalized buildings patch.

        I don't think this is an issue, since unless you're planning to
modify the protocol, the client and server have different ideas of which
islands units are on anyway. Displaying the client's information in a
dialog won't help you to cheat in any way; the only problem is that the
islands are stored only as numbers rather than names, so this display
wouldn't be very pretty. (Sure, you could provide some facility to name
your islands, but a) is it really worth it? and b) you'd have to use
attributes or similar to ensure this kind of thing survives through a
savegame.)

> >    - the same for buildings (well, of course showing only the
> > (non)existence)
> You can have multiple certain buildings in one city?

        This would cause problems, as existing code only records whether a
certain building is present or absent - there's no support for multiple
buildings of the same type. (Generalised improvements also makes this
assumption, although it wouldn't be _too_ difficult to fix this if the
base code were changed.)

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"I know the truth is in between the 1st and 40th drink"