[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Hello; Elementarization of Unit Properties; New/Improv

To: Jörg Zuther <zuther.joerg@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Hello; Elementarization of Unit Properties; New/Improved Info Screens
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:38:54 +0100

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 11:15:26PM +0100, Jörg Zuther wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:08:27 +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > 1. Elementarization of unit poperties:
> > >
> > >    Many properties/abilities are organized as a bunch, i.e.
> > >    (see unittype.h/enum unit_flag_id)
> > >    F_SETTLERS (contains all the worker abilities like irrigation,
> > >                roads, mines, removing pollution, etc.)
> > >    F_CARAVAN (contains helping wonders, establishing trade routes)
> > >    F_DIPLOMAT (contains all diplomatic abilities)
> > >
> > >    Imho, it would be nice to have any elementary property/ability
> > >    like road building and mining as an ability/property of its own
> > >    that can be chosen for new unit types. E.g., you could design
> > >    a unit called "railroad workers" that can only build railroads.
> > >    (This example leads to another feature I would be interested in:
> > >    to give all working abilities a respective effectiveness factor
> > >    that can be chosen for each unit type. Maybe the flags could be
> > >    replaced by integers that reflect the respective effectiveness,
> > >    with 0 means that the unit type has not the respective ability/
> > >    property.)
> > >    What do you think?
> >
> > Such a generalization is on the TODO list after the generalized
> > improvement code (which we currently struggle with). It would be nice
> > if these two share at least some ideas and the ruleset syntax.
>
> OK, so I should gather info about the other subject first.
>

> > While you are at a redesign: what about compound units (from AC)?
>
> This would be great, of course. But would't this generate a huge
> amount of problems/work? It starts with compatibility with Civ I/II
> and ends with a graphical challenge.

Forget about this.

> > > 2. New or more detailed charts:
> > >
> > >    E.g. in the cities chart,
> > >    - the columns "workers", "surplus", "economy" and "currently
> > >      building" should be splitted into several columns,
> > >      respectively, so that you can sort wrt each elementary
> > >      information.
> >
> > There were are least two patches which addresses this problem.
>
> I have searched on the site and found one of them. Btw, I don't
> understand exactly all the classifications for the patches.

All stuff first goes to incoming.
 - patches will go to "patches submitted".
 - wishlist things to "wishlist"
 - bug reports to "open", "fixed", "not reproduced" or they will stay
 a bit in incomming

Patches from "patches submitted" should go into "patches old" (if they
are superseded) or to "patches applied".

> E.g. what means "not reproduced"?

There is no known way to reproduce a bug report.

> Are mac, win32, civserver

Not from me. But the maintainers of these parts may do so.

> and wishlist applied or not?

There shouldn't be any patches in wishlist.

> Can I read this kind of information somewhere?

No. Just ask here.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  (On the statement print "42 monkeys"+"1 snake"): BTW, both perl and Python