[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Islands in the city report

To: Jörg Zuther <zuther.joerg@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Islands in the city report
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:55:10 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Jörg Zuther wrote:

> Of course, the city report shows you only information about your own
> cities. IMHO, it would be no problem to represent the different islands/
> continents in the display as different numbers. I would need this
> information
> only for a single purpose: to be capable of grouping all of my cities
> that are on the same continent/island. This is useful when you have
> built a wonder that affects all cities on a continent.

        Well, this is the problem that was discussed with regard to
generalised improvements. Sure, you can group the cities (or units) this
way, but it won't necessarily be consistent with which cities are being
affected by a Wonder, because the grouping uses the client's continents
numbers, while the Wonder effect uses the server's idea. In essence this
means that if two islands on your map are actually connected by a piece of
land that you haven't discovered yet, then the server will treat them as a
single island, and apply the Wonder effect appropriately. (IIRC, the
result of this discussion was that the server should really use the same
continent system as the client - after all, if you "think" that you have
two separate islands, surely any Wonder effect should apply only to that
territory that you "think" it should do, and shouldn't be able to take
advantage of the not-yet-discovered land bridge.)

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"Ice formed on the butler's upper slopes."