[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New/Improved Info Screens

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New/Improved Info Screens
From: Jörg Zuther <zuther.joerg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:31:22 +0100

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:59:34 +0100, Christian Knoke wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 11:48:04PM +0100, Jörg Zuther wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, you're right, but that's not the point either. ;) Actually,
> > > I have thought about this for longer.
> > >
> > > I'd like to know
> > >
> > > 1. what buildings are in my cities
> > > 1. what units are in my cities
> > > 1. what units are supported by my cities
> > >
> > > but there is no place in the city report for that. There is
> > > already much (too much) in the city report. A table with a
> > > column for each unit definitely won't fit.
> >
> > You can (de)activate all columns during play, hence always modify the
> > report according to your actual needs.
>
> Yes. You have to deactivate some of the columns already, when you
> play on 800 * 600. This means lesser information.
>

> > > Maybe a new kind of report?
> > >
> > > Following suggestions:
> > >
> > > A (small) column: "numbers of mil. units supported by this city"
> > > (important for war).
> > >
> > > A button/function "Wake up all units in the city"
> > >
> > > A function for the units report "Wake up all units of type ..."
> > > (the latter has been nearly realized by a recent patch).
> >
> > Hm... sounds nice. If you (and enough other people ;-) always need
> > more information than can be shown in one report, then it should
> > be possible to build and save/load several reports for your needs, where
> > all these reports are build from the same huge pot of elementary
> > columns you can switch on/off. Maybe the client or server (or where
> > these reports are stored) can come with a widened set of standard
> > reports?
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to put everything in the city report.
> And I don't want to change the settings continiously.
>
> There are several reports now; I think it's absolutely possible
> to add a new one, with the features you proposed. Enhenceing the city
> report should be done very carefully, whereas the units report e.g.
> offers much place for enhencements.

I wanted to add something concerning the buttons/functions you want.

Of course, on any city report the column of city names is necessary.
There should always be a city in the report that is active. All reports
would contain all buttons; most buttons would refer to the city that is
active in the report.

Hm... maybe certain functions could be connected to certain columns?
If you double-click on the column, then the active city changes to
the row where you clicked and some column-related function is executed.

 ,,
Jorg