[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Hello; Elementarization of Unit Properties; New/Improv

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Hello; Elementarization of Unit Properties; New/Improved Info Screens
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:27:12 +0100

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 04:17:17PM +0100, Gregor Zeitlinger wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > >    - the same for buildings (well, of course showing only the
> > >      (non)existence)
> > These seem to be a bit overkill for me. Anybody with a 28 inch
> > monitor out there? ;-)
> that's not the point. You'll never show all abilites at once. Rather
> certain buildings and certain units. You may want to know which cities
> have attack units that you can send for a raid or which cities could build
> a research lab to speed research up. I've missed this very often, usually
> when I have more than 10 cities.

Well, you're right, but that's not the point either. ;) Actually,
I have thought about this for longer.

I'd like to know

1. what buildings are in my cities
1. what units are in my cities
1. what units are supported by my cities

but there is no place in the city report for that. There is
already much (too much) in the city report. A table with a
column for each unit definitely won't fit. One the other
hand, if you're tricky, you can draw a lot of information
out of the city report. E.g. "Select", "available to build",
"Research lab".

Maybe a new kind of report?

Following suggestions:

A (small) column: "numbers of mil. units supported by this city"
(important for war).

A button/function "Wake up all units in the city"

A function for the units report "Wake up all units of type ..."
(the latter has been nearly realized by a recent patch).

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *