[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound patch v6 (PR#1235)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound patch v6 (PR#1235)
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:27:06 +0100

On 2002-01-17 18:12:41, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
> > I think soundfiles should be separated from other files in some way...
> > That is I don't think you should just dump them in default but perhaps
> > something like sounds/default...
>
> Not sure about this - haven't given it much thought. The patch looks for
> files with data/ as root. Where the files are actually placed is largely
> irrelevant. Might as well dump them all into a sound/ subdir? I don't
> know. Opinions?

I would prefer a 'sounds' dir with one [soundset].soundspec file and
[soundset] dir containing the wavs for each "soundset"...
Like:
deepone@abyss/tmp/freeciv/data/sounds>ls
default/  default.soundspec
deepone@abyss/tmp/freeciv/data/sounds>ls default
airnuke.wav     buf1.wav          foot3.wav    metbrk.wav  rhino.wav
... more wavs ...
deepone@abyss/tmp/freeciv/data/sounds>

But that's not really consistent with the way things are now...
The alternative approach would be to have the same as above but without
the 'sounds' dir and just keep the names of the soundsets different from
all already existing dirs in data...
Like:
deepone@abyss/tmp/freeciv/data>ls
stdsounds/  stdsounds.soundset
... lots of other files here ...
deepone@abyss/tmp/freeciv/data>

But I do think that all wavs for a soundset should be kept in a dir by
themself... With the way things are right now I think you should go with
the second alternative... Should be minimal changes to what you have now
also, right?
Comments?

You might also want to run 'cmod a-x' on the wavs...

> > > The wav files can be found in stdsounds.tar.gz in ftp incoming.
> >
> > Nope, can't find it...
>
> Hmm... I've uploaded it, again. If, for whatever reason, you should not
> find it in freeciv incoming, it is also to be found here:
> www.idi.ntnu.no/~permath/stdsounds.tar.gz

Great! It works fine here now! :)

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)