[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI strategy

To: ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI strategy
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 19:59:42 -0500

At 07:12 PM 01/12/04 -0800, ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>In <20011205023509.GD19852@xxxxxxxxxxx>, on 12/05/01
>   at 03:35 AM, Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>Currently, there are two incompatible interfaces between the server and
>the players -- one for players which the server controls (AI only), and
>one for all other players (human, bots, or a combination of both). The
>strategy which I strongly support is that the AI only interface be
>eliminated, by moving the existing AI code to an aiclient program, which
>could be either spawned by the server, as in the aifill case, or launched
>as an independent player.

You don't need to go this far. Just replace the packet sends to an AI
with a stream connection to an internal AI processor module. This module
decodes the information and calls into whatever AI code it needs to
respond, including returning new packets via the stream.

There is no reason you have to make function calls into the server AI
like today, you could send it messages to invoke it.

>-- Chuck Crayne
>ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxx

Cheers,
RossW