[Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv - arcade game?

To: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mathias Hasselmann <Mathias.Hasselmann@xxxxxx>, Jacek Pop³awski <jp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv - arcade game?
From: <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:43:09 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:37:27PM +0200, Mathias Hasselmann
> <Mathias.Hasselmann@xxxxxx> was heard to say:
> > But the auto-goto-style you proposed is unfair: see this
> > situation:
> >
> >                     D...
> >                     .....    D - diplomat
> >                     ..C..    C - city
> >                     .....    . - visible squares
>
>   Why is this unfair?

Because Diplomat D is with 1 square of the city and is still not seen,
hence having the goto and capture command would allow the Diplomat to take
the city in one turn without the City having any warning or time to
defend. (With the current system this still sort of happens, but instead
of the city being instantly taken the defender has a few seconds in which
to throw a last ditched effort to kill the D).

Darth_bob

ps. Is it just me.. or are defending diplomats useless now? In the last 3
games I played.. I realised the possiblity of a diplomat attack and built
2 defending diplomats in the cities. Straight after these units were
finished, low a behold a diplomat attack, and yet the first diplomat that
was used got the city... even with two defenders... These diplomats are
now so powerful with fog of war and lag, that it seems even more so than
before, that Diplomats are the only way to attack.