[Freeciv-Dev] Re: diplchance (was: FreeCiv - arcade game?)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: diplchance (was: FreeCiv - arcade game?)
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:34:46 -0400

At 2000/07/24 11:22 , Reinier Post wrote:
>> ps. Is it just me.. or are defending diplomats useless now? In the last 3
>> games I played.. I realised the possiblity of a diplomat attack and built
>> 2 defending diplomats in the cities. Straight after these units were
>> finished, low a behold a diplomat attack, and yet the first diplomat that
>> was used got the city... even with two defenders... These diplomats are
>> now so powerful with fog of war and lag, that it seems even more so than
>> before, that Diplomats are the only way to attack.
>
>This all depends on the diplchance server variable, which is not documented
>as clearly as it could be.

When I implemented it all (a while ago) Diplomat/Spy probabilities were
chosen to conform to Civ2.  So, unless something has changed or I made a
mistake originally, it's similar to Civ2's behavior (where I felt
Diplomats/Spies *were* the only way to attack).

Maybe we want to set it a little lower in the default game (though, leave
it at 80 in the Civ2 game).

jjm