Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?
From: "James O. Harms" <joharms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:55:51 -0600

Jeff Vian wrote:

> Michael Moore wrote:
> >

> You need to set up the correct printer driver for your printer.
> Some of the newer printers are not yet supported but a ton of them are.

If a new printer does not yet have a Linux driver available, you can often use
the driver for an earlier printer from the same mfg.  You may loose some bells
& whistles, but at least you have a functioning printer.

> > 2) I currently have a two hard drive system with Linux RH7.2(hdb1/ext3)
> > on one hard drive and M$ (hda1/vfat) on the other; so I can boot to
> > either OS.  I was wanting to make the vfat partition on the first drive
> > smaller and put an ext3 partition in the freed up space.  I thought I
> > might be able to do this using the cfdisk command.  I can't seem to get
> > the cfdisk command to work or I just don't know how to use it.  Any
> > suggestions.
>
> read up on fips (it is included on the dos utilities section of the
> redhat linux distro CD)
>
> if you do a defrag of the vfat partition so all the end of the partition
> is free and no data gets lost then fips will let you resize the vfat
> partition and create a new partition at the end.
>

> > -----Mike

As Jeff pointed out, fips is a program that will resize fat16 or fat32
partitions.  This gives you the empty space in which to create Linux
partitions with cfdisk.

Another way to do this - this obviously works best
during a fresh install - is to: (1) install MSWindows.  Only partition and
format the space you intend to use for MSWindows, leaving the rest of the
drive unpartitioned and unformatted.  (2) After MSWindows is set up, use
cfdisk to allocate the Linux partitions.  Linux fdisk will not see this empty
space, but cfdisk will.  GUI oriented installers like those used by Mandrake,
etc. will see this empty space, and you can partition it during a Linux
install if you are in expert mode.

As long as you set up MSWindows first it won't trash your Linux install, Linux
will leave MSWindows alone, and you can set up Lilo in the mbr to choose which
system you desire to run.  Running multiple Linux versions is very easy to do
with the setup described above.  There is one simple trick you must know, and
if anyone is interested, I will be happy to pass it on.

--joh