Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?
From: Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:33:09 -0600

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 11:M pm, you wrote:
>
>>Thanks alot for the help...I'll checkout your website.  The learning
>>curve hasn't been too bad.  I think having taught myself C++(Boland)
>>back in the early 90's and then having taken a C class at WSU in 1993
>>was helpful....of course, I've forgotten a lot since I haven't written
>>any kind of programs in the last 7 years.
>>

>yah, i know exactly what you mean... i actually took a C++ course at Tabor
>(at that time, we were using a very old AIX machine!), but i couldn't write a
>"Hello World!" program to save my life!  Perl, yeah...  PHP, yeah...  BASH,
>yeah...  C++, absolutely not! :^ )
>
>>I wish I had switched to Linux years ago.  But, I just never heard much
>>about it.  I didn't even know it was written in C until I installed it
>>and started doing some reading about it.  About all I heard was M$
>>bashing......which I don't blame them I've been feed up with M$'s
>>operating system for years now....but, I just didn't hear anybody
>>praising all the good things about Linux.  I still hear Linux users
>>frightening possible Linux newbies away be telling how difficult a Linux
>>install can be.
>>

>oh, it's written in C? ; ^ )  when I started, i played around w/ caldera, but
>didn't have a clue what I was doing, so i quickly dropped it... then, i
>bought a RH book and tried RH5.1...  did ok with it (yeah, I was about 90%
>lost, but it was fun!) until one of the install-fest things @ ACLUG...  Clint
>helped me setup my box to be 100% microsoft-free (minus my mouse) and it was
>the best thing i ever did... rather than having windows around to be my
>crutch, i was forced to learn how to do it in linux...  i spent a lot of time
>playing with it at tabor (too much, as my grades told me) and am now more at
>home in linux than any version of windows...  i still keep windows around for
>somethings i just can't do in linux (DirectX, some games, some proprietary
>software that doesn't work in WINE), but i'm primarily in a *NIX environment
>all the time at home...

I heard that!!!!  Games.....I still run mine in M$.....not that I have
had any spare time the last couple of years to play games.  Isn't it
interesting that as the games get better we don't have any free time to
play them.  Always, other things that need to be done.  I guess that
just comes with getting older and older and older.