Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 00:24:01 -0600

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 11:M pm, you wrote:

> Thanks alot for the help...I'll checkout your website.  The learning
> curve hasn't been too bad.  I think having taught myself C++(Boland)
> back in the early 90's and then having taken a C class at WSU in 1993
> was helpful....of course, I've forgotten a lot since I haven't written
> any kind of programs in the last 7 years.

yah, i know exactly what you mean... i actually took a C++ course at Tabor
(at that time, we were using a very old AIX machine!), but i couldn't write a
"Hello World!" program to save my life!  Perl, yeah...  PHP, yeah...  BASH,
yeah...  C++, absolutely not! :^ )

> I wish I had switched to Linux years ago.  But, I just never heard much
> about it.  I didn't even know it was written in C until I installed it
> and started doing some reading about it.  About all I heard was M$
> bashing......which I don't blame them I've been feed up with M$'s
> operating system for years now....but, I just didn't hear anybody
> praising all the good things about Linux.  I still hear Linux users
> frightening possible Linux newbies away be telling how difficult a Linux
> install can be.

oh, it's written in C? ; ^ )  when I started, i played around w/ caldera, but
didn't have a clue what I was doing, so i quickly dropped it... then, i
bought a RH book and tried RH5.1...  did ok with it (yeah, I was about 90%
lost, but it was fun!) until one of the install-fest things @ ACLUG...  Clint
helped me setup my box to be 100% microsoft-free (minus my mouse) and it was
the best thing i ever did... rather than having windows around to be my
crutch, i was forced to learn how to do it in linux...  i spent a lot of time
playing with it at tabor (too much, as my grades told me) and am now more at
home in linux than any version of windows...  i still keep windows around for
somethings i just can't do in linux (DirectX, some games, some proprietary
software that doesn't work in WINE), but i'm primarily in a *NIX environment
all the time at home...

gLaNDix
(Jesse Kaufman)