Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?
From: Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:59:21 -0600

James O. Harms wrote:

>Jeff Vian wrote:
>
>>Michael Moore wrote:
>>

>>You need to set up the correct printer driver for your printer.
>>Some of the newer printers are not yet supported but a ton of them are.
>>

>If a new printer does not yet have a Linux driver available, you can often use
>the driver for an earlier printer from the same mfg.  You may loose some bells
>& whistles, but at least you have a functioning printer.
>
>>>2) I currently have a two hard drive system with Linux RH7.2(hdb1/ext3)
>>>on one hard drive and M$ (hda1/vfat) on the other; so I can boot to
>>>either OS.  I was wanting to make the vfat partition on the first drive
>>>smaller and put an ext3 partition in the freed up space.  I thought I
>>>might be able to do this using the cfdisk command.  I can't seem to get
>>>the cfdisk command to work or I just don't know how to use it.  Any
>>>suggestions.
>>>
>>read up on fips (it is included on the dos utilities section of the
>>redhat linux distro CD)
>>
>>if you do a defrag of the vfat partition so all the end of the partition
>>is free and no data gets lost then fips will let you resize the vfat
>>partition and create a new partition at the end.
>>
>>>-----Mike
>>>

>As Jeff pointed out, fips is a program that will resize fat16 or fat32
>partitions.  This gives you the empty space in which to create Linux
>partitions with cfdisk.

Thanks guys, for the fips information....I'll read up on that.  Also,
and I didn't make this clear, I can't even locate the program/command
"cfdisk" in Red Hat7.2.  The Red Hat 7.2 Unleashed book talks a little
about how to use it; but, I can't locate it.  I searched for Man & Info
pages on it...with no luck.  And I used the find command to locate
it....with no luck.