Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?
From: Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 18:27:25 -0600

Jonathan Hall wrote:

>I'm not aware of any Linux-specific classes being offered in the area
>(although there may be some).
>
>What sorts of specific things are you wanting to learn to use Linux for?
>
>-- Jonathan

I am also a Linux newbie.  I have only been using Linux since November.
 I have been using it at home to do things that I did before with M$.
As far as specific things I am wanting to know, I don't have that many.
 Most of things I want to do is become more familiar with Linux.
The Man pages and Info pages are sometimes helpful.  Also, there are
some good books and tuturials that are available online.

I too would like to take some Linux classes.  First, one that would help
me become more famaliar with using Linux and its commands.

So far, I have been able to do the same things in Linux as I did in M$
except for a few:
1) I don't have a compatible scanner.
2) My color inkjet printer doesn't seem to work very well under Linux;
so, I am currently using a black & white laserjet.

Some things I'm wanting to learn:
1) I previouly had my M$ computers networked together.  Now that one of
them is running Linux I want to network it with my other M$ computers so
that I can share printers and files.
2) I currently have a two hard drive system with Linux RH7.2(hdb1/ext3)
on one hard drive and M$ (hda1/vfat) on the other; so I can boot to
either OS.  I was wanting to make the vfat partition on the first drive
smaller and put an ext3 partition in the freed up space.  I thought I
might be able to do this using the cfdisk command.  I can't seem to get
the cfdisk command to work or I just don't know how to use it.  Any
suggestions.

-----Mike