Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: ACLUG

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ACLUG
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:16:23 -0600

Aside from readily avaialble meeting space, is there any reason to be a WSU
student (or other form of associated) orginazation?  If that's the only
reason... then I suggest that (assuming ACLUG still exists next week) we a)
find better meeting facilities on campus or b) Stop meeting at WSU.

Meeting at WSU has a number of problems (which may or may not be resolved by
meeting elsewhere):

1) Parking (especially during sporting events)
2) Secheduling (Worst case, campus is closed when we want to meet, best case
we have to change our meeting time as frequently as every semester.)
3) The space we have easy access to is really too small (altho recent
meetings have fit comfortably there, there was a time not too long ago when
we were really hurting for space.  If we resurect this group, I suspect that
will begin to happen again very shortly)

I think it might be worth-while to begin looking at other meeting
facilities, perhaps even some that charge us.  We've got a bit of a
treasury... and I think we continue to bring in money--at least enough to
pay for renting a room once/month.  Some ideas for possible meeting spaces
(some of which have been considered before):

1) The Wichita Public Library (downtown branch has appropriate meeting room)
2) A business (anyone here work at a business that would be willing to host
(either for free or for a reasonable fee) ACLUG meetings?) I know
iWichita.com is in a building with a conference room... would that be
available?
3) A church building, youth center, etc
4) YMCA or other recreational building with meeting space
5) Highschool, elementary schools, or other college campuses (possibly even
another location on WSU campus if it can avoid the problems mentioned above)
6) Retail locations (CompUSA, National Computer, a book store, etc)

-- Jonathan

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 04:42:36PM -0600, Tom Hull wrote:

> Kirk Lancaster wrote:
> >
> > I think Tom Hull has some interesting suggestions.  However,
> > I take some exception to the following comment:
> >
> >  4) ACLUG is rooted at WSU because that's where Goerzen was,
> >     and I think that's a big limiting factor (unless, of
> >     course, WSU were to really start supporting ACLUG, like
> >     giving us decent meeting facilities, even when the campus
> >     is out-of-season).
> >
> > If ACLUG were a recognized student organization or arranged
> > to become part of another organization (e.g. acm, pi mu epsilon),
> > getting rooms (and even funding from the SGA) would be easy.
> > Jeff, James, and other students have started the "SGA" process.
> > However, they might appreciate some encouragement, help,
> > suggestions, etc.  Have you helped?
>
> The SGA thing is a two-edged sword. Most of us have no association
> with WSU, so pretending we're a student organization is somewhere
> between confusing and dishonest. (I did something like that way
> back when, and I've never been sure it was worth it.)
>
> Is any other sort of WSU association possible? E.g., sponsorship
> by the CS or Math department as some sort of community-outreach
> program? This could, for instance, be exploratory toward developing
> some sort of curriculum which WSU could eventually profit from.
> (An old "pet idea" of mine is to develop a BSCS program with a
> major in open source software development. Someone will do this
> sooner or later, but right now it would really boost WSU.)
>
> --
> /*
>  *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/
>  */

"Who the h*** wants to hear actors talk?" -- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers,
1927