Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: ACLUG

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ACLUG
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 16:00:04 -0600

My views from the side lines.

I at this time do not remember how I found out about this email list and the
ACLUG in general.

I was trying to find more about the operating system 'LINUX' which was being
talked about on the TV show "The Screen Savers" so much.

So while this email list has tried to help me with Linux, part of my
troubles seem to be that I can not see the forest due to the trees.

Since I work third shift, I have never been able to attend a meeting and
have meet a few of you from the sale of  items over the past years.

Right or wrong mainly I see this email group as a "LOCAL WICHITA COMPUTER
HELP LINE" since all of you have allowed me to post non-Linux questions.

In the past I have run and been active member of local computer users group.
{TI, Coleco Adam, C=64/GEOS}

As things change in the world of computers, one thing seems to stay the
same.

Life changes people.

This causes changes in the computer users group, most of the time leadership
of the group ends up falling on the shoulders of one person, (and some times
this person does not want the responsibility) and not wanting to see the
group die tries very hard to get some one else to take over leadership!

Now maybe ACLUG will be successful in the transfer of "POWER" and will be
able to find a way to keep the active meetings going.

[Sure would like to know how the clubs on the coasts are able to keep things
going for years! There is still an active Coleco users group in Texas!]

But one thing that I hope is, some way you are able to keep (unless there
are unknown costs here) this email list active and maybe in the future
people are able to get together and meet formally in a information exchange,
if not to just get together and share a slice of pizza.

The one thing in general that I do miss with the internet in general is the
local BBS and when Future Net and Feist Internet were around the local
newsgroups (unless there are local newsgroups and I just have not found
them?)

Good Luck!

Going back to the side line now......

--David

PS: could somebody email the address to sign up for the "Saturday Sale"
email updates, some how I have stopped receiving them.