Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: ACLUG

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ACLUG
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:42:36 -0600

Kirk Lancaster wrote:

> I think Tom Hull has some interesting suggestions.  However,
> I take some exception to the following comment:
>
>  4) ACLUG is rooted at WSU because that's where Goerzen was,
>     and I think that's a big limiting factor (unless, of
>     course, WSU were to really start supporting ACLUG, like
>     giving us decent meeting facilities, even when the campus
>     is out-of-season).
>
> If ACLUG were a recognized student organization or arranged
> to become part of another organization (e.g. acm, pi mu epsilon),
> getting rooms (and even funding from the SGA) would be easy.
> Jeff, James, and other students have started the "SGA" process.
> However, they might appreciate some encouragement, help,
> suggestions, etc.  Have you helped?

The SGA thing is a two-edged sword. Most of us have no association
with WSU, so pretending we're a student organization is somewhere
between confusing and dishonest. (I did something like that way
back when, and I've never been sure it was worth it.)

Is any other sort of WSU association possible? E.g., sponsorship
by the CS or Math department as some sort of community-outreach
program? This could, for instance, be exploratory toward developing
some sort of curriculum which WSU could eventually profit from.
(An old "pet idea" of mine is to develop a BSCS program with a
major in open source software development. Someone will do this
sooner or later, but right now it would really boost WSU.)

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/