Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next Meeting Wednesday Feb 6

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next Meeting Wednesday Feb 6
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:24:23 -0600

Got this after I wrote my little missive. But, another two cents ...

Jeff Vian wrote:

> >From the number of complaints it seems many people are upset.
>
> Why then the following ?
>         1.  only 6 responses to Clint when he asked for input on what would be
> best for everyone.  More people complained about the announcement that
> responded to his request.

Assuming you meant that form, I have to admit I got so flustered with it that
I just threw my hands up. Just a buncha options on meeting times, which is
kinda secondary to whether the meetings themselves are worthwhile. Or even
whether there should be meetings. The survey I'd like to see is:

 1) What do you want an organization like ACLUG to do for you?

 2) What can you do to help your fellow Linux users?

>         2.  This is a committee run organization.  If you are a member and
> want
> to participate it is your responsibility to speek up and let your needs
> be known. If you do not actively participate then YOU are to blame if
> the group does not respond to your needs.

Sure. But note that while this more/less works for email, it doesn't work
for meetings. Why is that? Probably something to do with marginal utility.
I mean, the 4-5 days I spent writing up a handout for my C programming
presentation didn't exactly inspire [name deleted] to spend more than 10
minutes preparing his own notes on Zope, now did it?

>         3.  There have been several requests in the recent past for ideas for
> meeting topics and guidance for what you, the members, want the group to
> do for you.  If your responses to those are as sparse as your responses
> to the recent survey and the request for ideas about what day would be
> best for you for meetings then once again,  you would rather bitch than
> participate.

Hey, bitching is participating!

--
/*