Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: ACLUG

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ACLUG
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:34:20 -0600

* Kirk Lancaster <lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2002 Feb 05 16:30 -0600]:

> If ACLUG were a recognized student organization or arranged
> to become part of another organization (e.g. acm, pi mu epsilon),
> getting rooms (and even funding from the SGA) would be easy.
> Jeff, James, and other students have started the "SGA" process.
> However, they might appreciate some encouragement, help,
> suggestions, etc.  Have you helped?

If ACLUG were to become a sanctioned student organization, would the
public at large still be eligible for membership?  Would any one outside
of WSU be able to influence the direction of ACLUG by being an officer?
If it were made a subset of ACM or any other on-campus organization,
would membership in that organization also be required?  Money coming
from anywhere within WSU would surely compromise ACLUG to the point where
it could really only function as an on-campus student only organization,
could this be avoided with certainty?

I ask this since I only attended one meeting and felt so thoroughly hassled
after navigating the WSU campus that I never went back.  At least most
of this may be attributed to my own ignorance of WSU, as it was my only
time ever on campus.  Some time back I remember a discussion here where
it seems ACLUG members who did not have WSU parking passes were
ticketed.  That further soured any intention of attending a meeting held
on WSU campus on my part.

Now that I live about 200 miles from Wichita and am not likely to attend
a meeting, my thoughts should probably be weighed accordingly.  If I
were still in the area I would lobby heavily for someplace public
without the hassles of parking passes and other activity conflicts.
Unfortunately, such amenities as overhead projectors and peace and quiet
are rarely available without a fee.

Regarding one's first meeting I too felt sort of out of place at the
meeting, but I enjoyed it and learned from John's presentation (this was
in the fall of '98, I think).  Since amateur radio is my first love,
I've broken into several ham radio clubs over the years and the
out-of-place newbie experience is no different there.  That's just
human nature so just let it slide.  We are creatures of familiarity.
Rare are those among us who can welcome the stranger and make them feel
at home.

A larger reason of why I never attended another ACLUG meeting is that I
became heavily involved in the local amateur radio scene and ran out of
time.  That said, I really value the ACLUG mailing lists.  I've tried to
participate here by offering help (which I hope was of some value) and
learning from everyone else.  My use and mastery of Linux and all of its
components would be nowhere near as complete without the participation
of each of you on these lists.

My advice to all of you is to not let disagreement over the direction of
ACLUG destroy any friendships.  I have witnessed organizations that self
destructed and it's not a pretty thing to watch or be a part of.  On the
other hand, take the Linux Kernel Mailing List as an example.  There are
often great conflicts and differing points of view along with
personality clashes.  But, at the end of the day, its the actual result
of all the hard work eveyone puts in that we all remember.

Contrary to what was alleged by Mr. Klee, there is no power ACLUG can
wield over the Linux users in Wichita, or anywhere else.  There is no
empire to be built.  No financial riches to be gained by "the inner
circle," and certainly no reason for anyone to be bitter about the
quality of the meetings.  Creating an effective presentation is hard
work as noted by Mr. Hull.  Bombing on one is also a learning
experience, however frustrating for the audience.

Cheers!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and