Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: X-10 (Was: Suggestions?)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: X-10 (Was: Suggestions?)
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 23:51:54 -0600

Michael Moore wrote:

> By the way, does anybody out there have their system hooked up as a
> "Home Automation System (X10)"?
> Some websites that sell components are: www.X10.com , www.smarthome.com
> , www.homedirector.com
> I was just wondering if anybody else had one running?

I've fiddled with this a bit, but don't have much to show for
it. My problem is that although I have some X10 gear, I've never
been able to get it to propagate correctly through my wiring,
and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it.

The X10 controllers are almost all RS232 serial devices, with
ASCII command interfaces, so hooking up primitive software to
control them should be near-trivial. There are also a number
of projects working on various aspects of Linux home automation.
A good place to start there is Neil Cherry's home page:

  http://members.home.net/ncherry/

I had the idea of pulling together a Linux distribution with all
of the appropriate device drivers and a good firewall installation,
and building a community website to support the whole thing, but
that project has been stalled for all sorts of reasons. Right now
it's a backburner thing for me, but I still think it's an interesting
long-term project.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/