Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting. (I am finally fed up.)

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting. (I am finally fed up.)
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 23:14:48 -0600

It's rare that you would get that attitude here, but if come out and say "I
haven't read the manual, tell me how to do this" you are going to be rebuffed.
All of us started out by reading everything we could get a hold of and trying
things out on our own.  We we just couldn't figure it out, then we asked for
help.  It like if we had to spend all that time to learn it, why should you get
off easy?  If we tell you "just do it this way", you're not as apt to learn the
reasons why. There is value in the school of hard knocks.

> If the Linux community wants
> Linux to blossom they need to quit saying people are not man enough to work
> on Linux and make it user friendly enough for the general public.

There are those in the Linux community that don't want to pander to the least
common denominator like M$ does. I hope Linux never gets to the "protect the
user from himself" level that M$ has.  I *want* configuration files that are
hand editable. I don't mind GUI tools as long as they don't take away my ability
to customize things the way *I* want them. That's what Linux is about.

> IBM and
> others are working with Linux to better the OS's chances but assholes that I
> have found on these help groups drag Linux back down. At least with M$ a
> person can get help without the attitude. I am even willing to pay for help
> "real help" without the bad attitude.

If you buy the boxed version of RedHat, (or Caldera, etc) you can pay for "real
help". It's not a "man enough" thing, it more of a "UNIX thing".  And that isn't
just user groups, that goes to the very core of what Linux is. So maybe it's not
for everyone, and that's okay.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx