Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting.

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting.
From: Anne McCadden <amccadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:05:46 -0600

I discussed the presentation with Clint and I think that he may have
wanted to see what my presentation skills would compare with other
speakers, since he knows that I am a former teacher.  Sometimes I forget
that I am somewhat rare in Kansas being a female computer geek.  When I
moved here from Austin, I was use to seeing lots of women working with
computers.  Most were in computer assembly, programming, or teaching
computer classes.  I taught Biology and Geology classes and was the
sponsor for the computer club at my school.  One of my claims to fame
was that I shutdown the admin office on the Novell network, atleast that
is what on the admins told me that I did from the computer teacher's
console.

At National, some people treat me like I am an absolute idiot and know
nothing about computers, others are very grateful that I can and do help
them with their computers, others have bruised egos because a female was
able to fix their computer and they couldn't.  Oh well, it takes all
kinds to make a world and we make money from the EEOC (Equipment Exceeds
Operator Capability).  All of us have been at that point at some time or
another in the ongoing adventure with computers.  We either figured it
out for ourselves or we had to pay in some way or another to get help.

I am always interested in making learning fun.  A hardware workshop
sounds like fun and an interesting challenge.  I am going to ask my
manager to get every second Saturday off so that I can help you with the
Saturday Sale.  I have also thought about using one of my extra
computers as a demo for the Saturday Sale, if the load gets trashed, I
can always reinstall since it wouldn't have critical files on the hard
drive.  On days of snow and ice, I won't be able to bring the the
equipment and might be a little late.  I live down the street from the
Bingo place and would be glad to help out.

I feel better since I vented about being passed up on the presentation.
I was upset that I wasn't taken seriously and I don't want to present a
topic that isn't going to be of interest to the other members.  I don't
think that web design would be a favored topic either.  I don't know
what would be a good topic, but having a few newbie subjects would be a
good idea rather than telling people over and over again to read the man
or info pages.  Some of the man pages might as well be in Spanish if you
don't have enough background to understand what they are trying to tell
you.

My flu relapsed and wasn't able to come to the meeting.  I barely made
it through work today.  ttyl Anne