Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting. (I am finally fed up.)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx, Patrick Klee <drwho@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting. (I am finally fed up.)
From: David Wiebe <dww@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:24:01 -0600

I've been subscribed to this list for about a year and a half, have gotten
fast, friendly tech support a couple of times, and have attended one ACLUG
meeting.

It appears like ACLUG is in the process of self-destructing.  This saddens
me, but I can't say that I'm surprised.  Some observations:

1) During the one meeting I did attend, no one spoke to me from the time I
entered the door until I left.  No welcome.  No introductions.  No "What
brought you here?". Nothing.

2)The meeting was extremely frustrating to sit through. The meeting began
with a business meeting / open-ended discussion.  Most of it centered on
inside information (and inside jokes) which since it was my first meeting I
had no way of understanding or participating in.

3) I came because I'd just started a project related to the announced topic.
I reasonably expected to get some good tips on how to proceed and maybe some
hands-on tutorials.  Instead I got about 15 minutes of reading (boring) from
the introduction of a very large book, followed by an ill-prepared attempt to
write a short script, which I later found out wouldn't have run in the first
place.

4)I've seen you folks a couple of times at Saturday Sale.  I'd have to say
that was a friendlier atmosphere, but again, you really blew the opportunity
to show-off Linux.  You could be demoing all the new whiz-bang stuff Linux is
developing, instead it seems like you sit and bitch that you aren't "selling"
enough CDs.

'Nuff said.  Hope you all can weather the storm.

I'll just quietly sit at home and _use_ Linux for _all_ my computing needs.

Dave W.