Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting. (I am finally fed up.)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting. (I am finally fed up.)
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:10:20 -0600

Out of fairness, I think I will say a few words in ACLUG's defense.

1) ACLUG has never (to my knowledge) threatened to ban Patrick or anyone
else from participation in ACLUG events.

2) ACLUG's interest in helping "newbies" is one of the reasons we're hosting
a decision-making meeting.  We realize that we are not meeting the needs or
desires of everyone in the group.  We also realize that we (the existing
committee) is not capable of meeting everyones' needs as we stand... To meet
everyone's needs we will need greater group participation, whether it be in
the form of just sharing ideas, or people actually helping to get things
done (both are greatly needed).

3) Anyone who participates in Patrick's group will be fully welcome to
continue participating in ACLUG.  In fact, ACLUG has worked with other UGs
in Wichita in the past--most notibly the FreeBSD group.  There is no reason
to have hostility toward other groups, and ACLUG has never exhibited
hostility toward any group.  I think some of our members even participate in
a Windows User's Group.

4) This is not the first time Patrick has started (or attempted to start) a
new LUG.  I suspect he is taking on a project much larger than he is aware,
and I doubt it will ever blossom into much.  But, if it does, more power to
him and those who choose to participate.

In summary, I think it is important for those who are disatisfied with ACLUG
to realize that we are trying desperately to improve things, and your input
is greatly desired!  Nobody is _intentionally_ ignoring you.  In fact, we're
trying hard not to ignore you.

I don't know if anyone else share's Patrick's feelings regarding ACLUG.  If
so, I would hope you would bring it to our attention so the percieved
problems can be dicsussed and perhaps resolved.

Thanks!

-- Jonathan

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 12:40:33AM -0700, Patrick Klee wrote:

> Well,
>       I am logging off this list.  I can honestly say, I have been an unhappy
> member of ACLUG for 2 long years.  I am sure you all have high hopes.  But no
> matter what the committee decides and says, The hate newbies and they hate to
> grow.  Just from talking to a few members like myself.
>       I, however, don't care about Clint or Dale banning me from this list, I
> am
> working on a newbie-expert unix group focusing on BSD, Linux and other Unixes.
> Unlike ACLUG, we will meet, have a few drinks, and talk about our experiences.
> Firstly online, but when we get enough people.  We plan to meet in person.
> also, members of the ACLUG committe will not be welcome.  From talking to
> Dale, Clint and John Goerzen in the past.  And seeing as they are THE ONLY
> user group and have been for 4 long, pathetic years, and from talking to John
> and Clint, I feel they are hell bent on having an M$ like monopoly on user
> groups in this city.  If you leave ACLUG out of something, they get involved
> or they threaten to ban you.  They don't announce meetings till the last
> minute.
>       I am working on a webpage.  It's called KUUG - Kansas Unix Users Group.
> but if you decide to join me, then you will proably get excommunicated from
> ACLUG.  Good luck, Clint and Dale, and honestly, I think it's time this baby
> of John's bit the bullet
>
> Patrick
>
> P. S.  I am not apologetic about this email, I am fed up with the bull shit.

Useless fact #3: There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.