Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting. (I am finally fed up.)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting. (I am finally fed up.)
From: Anne McCadden <amccadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 22:45:27 -0600

I am sorry that you have had a difficult time learning linux.  I also
had a difficult time at first.  I did find some people who helped me out
for a while.  James G. helped me with a couple of installs and explained
about permissions, commands, etc.  Jeff Vian setup a firewalll for me
after I was hacked into while on RoadRunner.  He also helped me setup
seti@home on a couple of my linux computers with a shell script and now
I am leaving some of the guys at work in my dust.  I am the only person
running seti on linux and I am out-pacing the guys at work and their
computers running windows.  Jeff helped me with several installs and
configurations of linux.  I now know a lot more about rc.d and programs
running at startup.

I found a Red Hat training CD at CompUSA and it has been very helpful.
Most days I feel like I have so much to learn and so little time.  I am
hoping that things will turn around for the ACLUG group.  So many of us
are self-taught and we have gaps in our knowledge.  Maybe I should speak
for myself, I have gaps in my knowledge.  Sometimes I am afraid to ask
questions because frequently I get blasted with READ the MAN pages, info
pages, web pages, and all that stuff.  Sometimes it is just easier to
ask a question and get a simple answer, then directed to the appropriate
man or info page.  There is a nice web site called linuxnewbie.com, it
has a large amount of valuable info.  Too bad that some peoples ego gets
in the way of their brain.  This comment wasn't meant to be gender
specific, but if the MACHO shoe fits.....
--be nice to us newbies.