Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting. (I am finally fed up.)

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: [announce] Next meeting. (I am finally fed up.)
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:44:58 -0600

I appologize for the group's sexist attitude, but in it's defense, there aren't
too many female geeks running around. :-)  It's kind of nice to have snared such
a rare animal. :-)

> I have volunteered to give presentations, but in the announcement it had
> that someone else was giving the talk that night.  After spending a
> couple of hours preparing my notes and printouts, I was ticked off that
> I was passed over.

I'm not sure what the topic was.  It may have been one of those times when I
didn't get who was doing what written down, and when I asked who was doing it,
someone else answered.  One of my biggest problems is that someone will
volunteer, but neglect to leave contact information with Clint or myself.  I
then have no way of varifying that the person is indeed going to show up, and I
have no details of what they are going to talk about.  Consequently, we make
alternative arrangements.

So anyone who wants to volunteer to do a presentation: Make darn sure you leave
contact information with someone in charge, and be sure to drop a note with a
two or three line desription to info@xxxxxxxxx.

> I have volunteered again to give the same
> presentation and no one has taken me seriously.  So now I feel like you
> don't really want any help and I decided to give up to help out.  Just
> thought that you might want to know that I was going to give the talk
> about AMD vs Intel hardware for linux.  I know a lot more about hardware
> that I could ever think about web page design.  Just thought that other
> people in the group might want to know.  People like me have offered to
> help out and was ignored.

You aren't the first person to offer to do a hardware presentation, but when we
ask what people want to hear about, that topic falls well down on the list.

That said, what I really think we need is a hardware workshop.  People would
bring their machines with odd/unusual/wierd hardware and we get together as many
guru's as we can muster to solve thier problem.  It could be fun, and we might
actually fix something!

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx