Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Suggestions?
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 17:24:30 -0600

* Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2002 Feb 06 16:54 -0600]:
> I have a Cannon S450.   I am able to use it with the bjc600 driver.  Its
> just it doesn't print as good as it did under M$.  Anyway, I use my
> laserjet for most of my printing.  When I get time I will try other
> drivers and see if there's some things I can do to improve it.  For
> example: the main thing it does is print everything in high resolution.
>  Which uses a lot of colored ink.  I tried using the print utilities by
> setting them to enconomy mode and changing some other settings....but, I
> didn't make any difference.  Anyway, I haven't used it in over a
> month...with linux.  I'll hook it back up and see if I can think of some
> other things to try.

I have not tried this, but take a look a CUPS, or Common Unix Printing
System at http://www.cups.org/.  Looking at the website I see that the
free version incudes support for HP and Epson printers.  Their
commercial product is called ESP Print Pro and may have the Canon
driver.  Part of the problem with later model ink printers is that the
technologies employed are covered by patents or NDAs which make it very
difficult to write free drivers.

Perhaps the best solution when deciding to print from Linux is to use a
Postscript capable printer.  Unfortunately, low-end color ink printers
don't do PS natively.  Myself, I'm waiting for color lasers and flat
screen LCDs drop below $400.  Yeah, I'm cheap!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and