Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost

To: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Miguel Farah <miguel@xxxxx>, "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost
From: Britton <fsblk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:41:51 -0800 (AKDT)

I havn't had a chance to play lately, so please pardon my ignorance, but
do the new notradesize/fulltradesize options do nothing for these
problems?  They seem like a powerful incentive to have nice vertical
cities to me.

Britton

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 10:43:52AM -0400, Miguel Farah wrote:
> >  Thomas Strub [14/08/2002 17:53] dijo/said:
> > >
> > >On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 08:31:34PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> > What I propose is this: we know that a city uses up 21 squares
> > (including the free city center). An ideal nation that has NO
> > overlapping cities of any kind, will control exactly 21*N squares
> > (N=3Dnumber of cities).
> >
> > ICSmeter will defined as this:
> >
> >             squares occupied by a nation
> >    I :=3D 1 - ----------------------------
> >             21 x number of cities owned
> >
> > (a square is considered occupied by a nation even if its owned by an
> > enemy - that can't be counted against the player)
> >
> > Now, and ideal nation will have I=3D0%.
> >
> > A nation that places 25 cities all in a square grid, all at distance 1
> > will have I=3D1-(165/(21x25))=3D68,6% and commits HEAVY ICS.
> >

> > Considering the defects of the terrain, and conquered cities, an I=3D0%
> > will be unattainable, and therefore an index of, say, up to 15% should
> > be acceptable.
> >
> > Nations with a bigger index should then begin suffering penalties.
>
> cmd 5 and other things give smallpox too. Build as many cities you can, n=
o cityimprovements and so on. For you smallpox is a high density of cities.=
 For me its building only settlers, military units, caravans and wonders. N=
o citiyimprovements.