Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS

To: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS
From: Jussi Asp <Jussi.Asp@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:55:12 +0300

IMO biggest problem with smallpox has been the freecitycenterworker and
too expensive improments.
If there is enough resources and space around I think building new
cities should still be smart. Preventing expansion
with limiting the amount of cities you can have ( like jings
unhappiness-patch) or making every new city more
costly surely works, but  I don't think its very elegant..

..so here are the rules I propose: (which surely are very elegant =P )

units:

settler:
-cost 60
-popcost 2
-ukfood 1
-def 2 ( to balance the increased cost somehow )

worker: (new unit)
-cost 20
-popcost 0
-ukfood 0
-def 0

engineers:
-cost 60
-popcost 2
-ukfood 1
-def 2 ( same as settler )

engineer: (new unit)

-cost 20
-popcost 0
-ukfood 0
-def 1 ( surely they can use screwdrivers )

city improments:

-1/4 off the cost ( ie. temple costs 30 instead of 40)

- 1 away from upkeep costs ( ie. barracks upkeep 1 -> 0  and cathedral
upkeep 3 -> 2 )

wonders:

double the costs ( well i think they are too cheap.. :-o )

I've played some games with these settings and also used 4 settlers at
start to get it going faster and
IMHO it works quite well against smallpoxing and in favor of developed
cities and is still fun to play.

-Jussi Asp