Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost

To: Britton <fsblk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Miguel Farah <miguel@xxxxx>, "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:16:43 +0200

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 11:41:51AM -0800, Britton wrote:

> I havn't had a chance to play lately, so please pardon my ignorance, but
> do the new notradesize/fulltradesize options do nothing for these
> problems?  They seem like a powerful incentive to have nice vertical
> cities to me.

Lets say we use notrade 4 and fulltrade 6.
So you have to get a size 5 city to get any tech. Growing it in a normal
way needs: 20+30+40+50 food = 140 food. With enough + 2 food fields near
the city this needs 70 rounds. (With despotism there are not many +3
fields)
Using the city to build settlers the whole time you get a settler after
12-15 rounds. (2/1 + 2/2 + 1/2 field) Then you move the settler to
another place where you can geht nearly the same production. So you have
2 cities with size 1 after 16 round and in round 30 you have 2 cities +
2 settler. Round 35 4 cities with size 1 and 0 settlers. Now you can
change the production from 1 city to something else than settlers the
other citites are producing settlers at a rate of 15 Rounds per settler.
Round 50 City1 has size 2 and 3 settlers are ready. With a little
micromanagement the city has size 3 and with the addition of 2 settlers
size 5.
So you have a size 5 city and 3 size 1 cities in round 50. What to do
with the small cities? Right -> building settlers to grow some of the
cities. Having a high output of settlers each round is good anyway. It
makes the game a little bit slower but no change in the playing style.
Only that lighthouse wins the game.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nur weil das Aufzeichnen, Kopieren und Schnüffeln bei elektronischem