Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost
From: Christoph Petschnig <cpet0101@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:00:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There should be a clear reason why a player should build city
> improvements, and I think that should be to get tax, science,
> luxury and
> access to advanced units. Unfortunately, it is currently possible
> get all
> four without any improvements at all. This is the problem.
>
> If we want to make buildings not irrelevant, we should make them
> better. I
> have already suggested doubling science bonuses of all buildings
> and
> doubling research cost. If this is not sufficient, this can be
> combined
> with giving most units gold upkeep and doubling buildings' tax
> bonuses. If
> _that_ is not sufficent, we can require that very advanced units
> like
> tanks, mech inf etc are built in cities with adequate mass
> production
> facilities (ie factory), that diplomats require Courthouse, or
> something, you get the idea.

I really like that idea! A Marketplace to build Caravans, a harbour
to build ships better than tireme, barracks to build units after
the gunpowder technology, etc. I think it will be easy to find
reasonable rules that are easy to implement. Tax or Science
boni/penalties will make the game too complicated, imho.

Regards, Christoph

(aka Dr. Evil, Lord of Mordor)