Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:49:48 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 08:31:34PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Thomas Strub wrote:
> > many people are complaining about ICS or smallpox. Me not, i like to
> > build cities like measles. But if want to prevent me from doing that
> > perhaps the following suggestion will help.
> >
> > 1. Increase the number of shields a settler costs with every settler is
> > build. There are some nuances but they can be discused later.
>
> I don't like this. It undue penalized big maps and players who like
> playing big empires. Instead, I would increase the cost of ownership for
> multiple cities. This is the civ way, IMHO.

Thats all a problem of balancing the game. Why 1-10 starting settlers, techcost
5-40 and so on?

What is a large empire in your eyes?

My suggestion is to make the growth slower the more cities an empire gets. You
want to make it more expensive to have many cities. For example a production
penalty when the empire is getting bigger. Hmm .. perhaps we should multiply a
term like (100-number of cities)/100 to the shieldoutput?

Whats with trying it out? I think the idea is good enough to be tested.

> > 2.3 With increasing settlercost the unit which is making terrain
> > improvements is getting very expensive. So noone will do
> > terrainimprovements. Should there be a terrain-improvement-unit?
>
> I want a terrain-improvement-unit (a "worker" in civ3 terminology) in any
> case. I have this in my private ruleset which I use for playing and I like
> it a lot.

Fine.

Yours
Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nur weil das Aufzeichnen, Kopieren und Schnüffeln bei elektronischem