Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost

To: Cameron Morland <cjmorland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 00:43:30 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 06:01:23PM -0400, Cameron Morland wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Thomas Strub wrote:
>
> > What is a large empire in your eyes?
> >
> > My suggestion is to make the growth slower the more cities an empire
> > gets. You want to make it more expensive to have many cities. For
> > example a production penalty when the empire is getting bigger. Hmm ..
> > perhaps we should multiply a term like (100-number of cities)/100 to
> > the shieldoutput?
>
> I was thinking that a realistic way to make large empires more difficult
> would be to have outlying cities have a certain probability of revolting
> in any given turn. This probability would be affected by things like
> corruption, happiness, number of nearby revolting cities, etc. This would
> simulate the problems often seen by large empires (eg after Alexander's
> death).

That's nearly no problem to handle . Unhappiness is easy to prevent. Democracy
and 30% Lux and nearly all cities should be content. With 50% there should be
nearly noe without rapturing. So its only a 50% economy penalty. 50% multiplied
with exponential growth gives -> ??

> For a few turns after revolting a city would be under some "provisional
> government", but would eventually either form into a new player, or a
> nearby player. Other unhappy cities nearby would have a greater
> probability of revolting and joining the upstart.

No revolting with good micromanagement think of CMA.

> This would mean that players would have to devote some attention to
> keeping the empire together, instead of just growing as rapidly as
> possible.

Some attention .. thats not a big change to the system the game is working now.
And as long as a settler is cheaper than a temple i reduce the size to grow my
production and economy.

Yours
Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nur weil das Aufzeichnen, Kopieren und Schnüffeln bei elektronischem