Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:46:39 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 08:31:34PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Thomas Strub wrote:
> > many people are complaining about ICS or smallpox. Me not, i like to
> > build cities like measles. But if want to prevent me from doing that
> > perhaps the following suggestion will help.
> >
> > 1. Increase the number of shields a settler costs with every settler is
> > build. There are some nuances but they can be discused later.
>
> I don't like this. It undue penalized big maps and players who like
> playing big empires. Instead, I would increase the cost of ownership for
> multiple cities. This is the civ way, IMHO.

The idea is that any given player can only found x cities per y
turns. Where x and y stay the same for player A at -3000 and for
player B at 1980.

So all players expand there empire at the same absolute rate. But
obviously the relative rate if better for the smaller empire.

> > 2.3 With increasing settlercost the unit which is making terrain
> > improvements is getting very expensive. So noone will do
> > terrainimprovements. Should there be a terrain-improvement-unit?

Yes.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!"