Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost

To: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:26:15 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:49:56PM +0200, Thomas Strub wrote:
> 2.2 Should the number of built settlers be taken or another modifer.
> Ideas are: number of cities (= noc), built settlers (= bs), built cities (=
> bc), active settlers (= as)
>
> 2.2.1 noc:
> With built cities alone players would stockpile mass of settlers to build the
> cities in few rounds.
> Invading would give a penalty ...
>
> 2.2.2 noc + as:
> This give bs + invaded cities - lost cities + starting settlers/cities
>

> 2.2.3 bs:
> i prefer this.

Note that the cost of a settler may change. So if city A builds a
settler 95/100 (+ 6 shield surplus) and city B builds a settler 98/100
(+3 shield surplus) and city A is selected first in the turn
calculations city A will build the settler and city B will be changed
to 101/120 (if the increase is 20).

Thue has made the valid objection that 2.2.3 harms a player which just
lost half of his cities a LOT. So I would go for something like
0.2*(noc+as) + 0.8*bs or similar.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Just because you put a flag on the moon doesn't make it yours, it just