Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost

Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 18:37:22 +0200

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 05:31:45PM +0200, Ian McCulloch wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > You can counter this part of ICS with city_min_dist.
> >
> > But even if you leave a lot of space between the cities you get
> > exponential growth and a free city center for every city.
> >
> >     Raimar
> >

> Yes, this is the heart problem; the real solution is to make it so that 1
> city using N squares (ie population is N-1) is more favourable than 2
> cities, each using N/2 squares.
>
> Having settlers cost 2 population (as in civ3) doesn't fix the problem
> because you still get a free city centre.  So building a new city doesn't
> change the amount of production (same number of squares in use) but
> reduces the population by 1, therefore less food consumption & faster
> growth.
>
> Is it possible to make the city center not free?  Like, apply the normal
> food/happiness penalties as if there was a worker on the city centre.
> With settler populataion cost of 2, is that a complete solution?

With a settler with settlercost 2 and a nonfreecenter you would have new build
citites with size 2 (size 1?) So a new city would have 2 workers after build.
So the problem is only shifted by one.

Settlercost       : pop
freecenter        : free
size of build city: newc

a nonfree center of a city + newc 1 is not a good idea. It would be nearly
impossible to grow a city to 2 with despotism. When you give some boni back to
the center there is no difference to the situation now.

I think that idea isn't possible without and big rulechange.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nur weil das Aufzeichnen, Kopieren und Schnüffeln bei elektronischem