Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost

To: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Miguel Farah <miguel@xxxxx>, <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:43:25 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Thomas Strub wrote:
> cmd 5 and other things give smallpox too. Build as many cities you can,
> no cityimprovements and so on. For you smallpox is a high density of
> cities. For me its building only settlers, military units, caravans and
> wonders. No citiyimprovements.
>
> Even wtih cmd 5 its better to build new cities before building a temple.

That is exactly the problem. City improvements are _not good enough_. They
are not necessary. So why do you insist on changing _units_?

There should be a clear reason why a player should build city
improvements, and I think that should be to get tax, science, luxury and
access to advanced units. Unfortunately, it is currently possible get all
four without any improvements at all. This is the problem.

If we want to make buildings not irrelevant, we should make them better. I
have already suggested doubling science bonuses of all buildings and
doubling research cost. If this is not sufficient, this can be combined
with giving most units gold upkeep and doubling buildings' tax bonuses. If
_that_ is not sufficent, we can require that very advanced units like
tanks, mech inf etc are built in cities with adequate mass production
facilities (ie factory), that diplomats require Courthouse, or ...
something, you get the idea.

These suggestions are possible with impr gen or simple ruleset code
additions, and can be adjusted easily through rulesets. The suggested
change to unit cost, on the other hand, is a very complex, completely
artificial and rather restrictive mechanic.

Yours
Per