Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS

To: Jussi Asp <Jussi.Asp@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:31:18 +0200

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 04:55:12PM +0300, Jussi Asp wrote:

> IMO biggest problem with smallpox has been the freecitycenterworker and
> too expensive improments.
> If there is enough resources and space around I think building new
> cities should still be smart. Preventing expansion
> with limiting the amount of cities you can have ( like jings
> unhappiness-patch) or making every new city more
> costly surely works, but  I don't think its very elegant..
>
> ..so here are the rules I propose: (which surely are very elegant =P )
[...]
> I've played some games with these settings and also used 4 settlers at
> start to get it going faster and
> IMHO it works quite well against smallpoxing and in favor of developed
> cities and is still fun to play.

Did you play a smallpoxtactic against a nonsmallpoxtactic? Which was
better in the long run? (Faster steam, faster some wonders)

I think even with 60 shields a smallpoxtactic is better.

For a new city you need 50 Food and 60 shields.
And you get in a normal city (with rep)
3 Food 1 shield 2 trade
2 Food 1 shield 2 trade

With a little bit rapturing you could remove the drawback of the loss of 2
population. So you have to change the rapture delay ...

With smallpox you get after < 30 rounds your investment back. Think
usually a little bit faster. Particularly with cheap improvement units.
Then you have usually 1 food more.

I think an ICS strategy will be effective with you rulesets.

Do you have tiles for the "Worker"? It has to be added in my
rulesetchange too :-)

Thomas