Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Some questions

To: nath@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Some questions
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 05:56:18 -0500

Niels Weber <nath@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

From what I read there, it doesn't seem to be a great idea to kill the free city centre.

As far as I can see, removing the free city center goes right to the heart of the problem. Of course, I would be very glad to hear any counter arguments.

Another idea came to my mind as I was reading the articles:
We could introduce a tech-maintenance-penalty. For say every ten techs you researched, every city will produce one less science (used or teaching the people). But if you build a library (university, research lab), this effect disappears.

Not a bad idea, but it feels a bit contrived, as many of the ideas on the forums are, and it is not clear whether it would work or not. I would much prefer a simpler solution.

So for every ten techs, you would have to build at least a library. And when you've started building improvements in a city, it's often wise to let it grow to get more out of them.

That was the general idea I was trying to push earlier elsewhere, but apparently the reward is not big enough to be worth the effort under the current system.

So there would still be many small cities, but
your main cities will grow to large cities with improvements. I think
this would be realistic as most cities are small.

The realism argument can only go so far. I don't think the population model in Freeciv is detailed enough to be able to reflect such realism, and it doesn't have to. For example, it has no provisions to merge small towns into larger cities, as often happens in real life. In essense, the rural population is still considered to be within the "city radius", and it works pretty well as it is. Since the city radius covers a quite large area, I don't think it is unrealistic at all.

Mike