Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Some questions

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Some questions
From: Andrew McGuinness <andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 20:27:21 +0000

On Mon, Dec 25, 2000 at 10:01:52AM -0500, Mike Jing wrote:
> They can't do that because you can't choose which tile to work on in a size
> 1 city: it has to be the city center.  I intend to keep min_city_center_food
> at 1, so if you build a city on very bad terrain, it will simply starve (the
> AI is having this exact problem and a patch is in the works right now).  You
> can use two settlers to make it possible if there is a better food square
> nearby, but normally it's not worth it.  This further reduces the benefit
> from building a new city because the automatic terrain upgrade is not as
> great as before.  As a side benefit, it will make settling on the poles much
> less desirable, which the AI tends to do a lot.
>
> To allow for city growth at the begining, the food value of certain terrain
> (grassland 2->3 and plains 1->2) and food specials will have to be raised,
> so does the food penalty threshold under despotism (2->3), as suggested by
> K.  (I originally gave the city center some extra food, which is not as good
> an idea.)

I'm not sure about increasing the food value of grassland and plains -
that would certainly increase city growth by making it much easier to
support very large cities, but it would completely change the game in
the process.

Have you thought of just increasing the frequency of specials?  That would
counter ICS by more or less forcing people to build cities on
specials, if they want them to grow or produce settlers, making it more
difficult to find suitable city sites, but make the game play more like
we are used to for those cities themselves.

Just something to consider in your testing...

--
Andrew McGuinness                        andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx