Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Some questions

To: johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Some questions
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:21:43 -0500

<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As far as I remember both Civ1 and Civ2 included this effect (i.e.
that you would only be allowed to research a strict subset of the techs that you had all prereqs for at any given time), and assuming it was included to force some width in research, it wasn't very effectful. I remember I just learned the 'correct' order to learn the
techs, and this 'problem' was solved (what was available for research
was only dependent on your current knowledge (total techs), and by
researching things in a suitable order, you wouldn't be hindered in reaching your goal in minimum time). Of course, I have forgotten about the 'correct' order long ago.

You are absolutely correct, of course. It is still possible to completely ignore one particular branch of the tech tree under this system, although it does delay the discovery of your immediate goal to a certain degree. It effectly slows down the research somewhat, which I think is a good thing, but I do agree it is not very effective in broadening the width of your research.

Mike